It’s a new year and a chance for a new happier and healthier you. Isn’t that what so many of us try to set as a new year resolution?
“I will get healthier.” “I’ll exercise more.” “I’ll give up sugar for good”.
It’s great to start the new year on the right foot and set healthy intentions, and in reality, we can start working on ourselves and habits any time of the year, but if the new year sounds like a good time, then let’s do it!
Today I want give you some starter tips that you can begin implementing right away to upgrade your health and reach your wellness goals.
Always take imperfect action. It’s not about perfection, it’s about taking action every single day. If making lifestyle changes seems daunting remember this saying: “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” (I don’t encourage eating elephants as a side note).
I often say this saying to myself when I feel overwhelmed or in a funk. Do ONE thing today that moves you towards your goal and eat that elephant one bite at a time.
A thing about goals:
- Don’t get hung up on them
- Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t reach them.
- Focus on forward momentum and your intentions
- View them as a form of measuring your progress. Not failure vs success.
Let’s get into it!
Here is an example day in the life of an “OLD you” VS an example day as the “NEW you”. This of course will not match your exact life, but I’m sure there are things you can relate too!
Does this sound familiar?
Here’s an example day..
I go to bed late watching a movie or tv show. I fall asleep with the TV on and get into bed at 11:00pm. I feel super tired. I sleep in and press snooze too many times, and I feel groggy and heavy like every morning. I then wash up and skip water in the morning and have a coffee for my morning hydration.
Skip breakfast and head to work. Gotta go, as I’m running late like always. I feel tired and crabby after my blood sugar crashes post coffee. I grab a Timmie’s donut or breakfast sandwich at coffee break (plus another coffee duh… )
I eat out for lunch and sit down while I eat. I also sit down most the day at the office. I feel tired as always. I have a headache and stomach ache by mid afternoon. My energy starts crashing by 3pm and I can’t wait for this bloody work day to be over. Feeling blue and not overly motivated. Mood is low and I want a 3pm pick me up. I grab a snack from my drawer and go for another coffee break.
After work, I head home and join the family. I get dinner going with the family and do chores around the house until I can put my feet up again after dinner and once everything is taken care of. My stomach is feeling bloated, I’m tired and I’m craving junky sweets. I snack on some ice cream and/or chips (a gals gotta have sweet and salty am i right?).
I stay up late, looking at my phone, scrolling through FB feeling like my life sucks compared to everyone else’s (to their “supposed lives” on FB). Once again, I stay up too late and head to bed far too late feeling bummed out that I am tired before I even wake up tomorrow! (I need a nap just thinking about tomorrow).
That day doesn’t sound too great, does it?
Can you relate to any parts of this example? I know I sure could in the past.
Let’s see how we can change this scenario simply by adding in a few small gradual changes!
New Year, New You – Starter Tips:
Start small with a couple weekly changes + mindset shifts.
- Start your day earlier than normal (give yourself that extra 15-30 minutes that you need)
- Have a glass of water with a fresh squeeze of lemon (to detox your bod and ignite digestion)
- Whip up a tasty fast smoothie which will balance your blood sugar and help you feel energized (start the day strong)
During the day:
- Move your body while at work, stand up, stretch and use your coffee breaks to walk outside and get fresh air! (Yes, even in the cold winter!)
- Drink plenty of water and herbal teas throughout the day and (avoid coffee, or gradually cut it back)
- Keep healthy snacks handy to keep energy and cravings managed eg. carrots and hummus, nuts and fruit
- Cook dinner and eat mindfully at the dinner table (No TV)
- *(Get a healthy meal plan to take the guesswork out of planning what to make… I can help you with that ?
- Do something relaxing during the evening that you enjoy (hot bath, read a book)
- Ditch your TV and phone ONE hour before bed (Peace out Facebook!)
Here’s an example of the potentially NEW YOU in a few months ?
- Go to bed at 10 pm (I have my sleep alarm set to remind me)
- Turn technology off an hour before bed
- Have a relaxing bath before bed or read a fiction novel
- Sleep 7-9 hours and wake up feeling rested
- Jump out of bed a bit early and have a big glass of room temp water + lemon
- Make my smoothie and head off to work revisiting my positive morning mantra
- Snack on balanced REAL food during the day and pack a lunch or grab something healthy
- Skip coffee and go for herbal tea – (feeling energized and happy throughout the day)
- Avoid the 3 pm energy crash, and I choose to go for a lunch walk and coffee break walks with friends/coworkers
- Plan to try out a yoga class or zumba class in the next month
- Come home and we make a healthy dinner with whole foods full of flavour! (And I use meal planning which makes my life a million times easier)
- Feel great, have no cravings and my moods are happy. I’ve naturally lost weight and my clothes are fitting way better!
This example of a potentially NEW Healthier and Happier YOU is possible with small gradual tweaks ?
Let me know: Which suggestions will you implement?
If you’d like to make your 2018 wellness goals a reality, I’ve got a New Year FLASH SALE going on right now, from January 5th until January 12th!!
If you sign up to work with me soon, you will receive a 10% discount on your 3 month personalized wellness program PLUS you will receive a lovely FREE gift!
Sign up soon and book your discovery session HERE
Cheers to a New Year and a Healthier Happier YOU ?