How about you? Do you ever get cravings for salty foods?
This ties in quite closely to the adrenal glands connection. If you missed my last post regarding supporting your adrenal glands then check it out HERE
Why we crave salt:
If your thyroid or adrenal glands are under functioning and require some love, you may experience more cravings for salty food. You have probably heard that most people eat too much salt, which is quite true. A processed diet which is high in salt can contribute to high blood pressure and disease.
The thing is, most people are eating the WRONG kind of salt. They are choosing low quality, heavily processed table salt, or salty foods with low quality added salt.(Pass zee french fries?). Table salt has often been processed and refined of its nutrients and high quality minerals.
Try to choose HIGH quality sea salt (pink himalayan sea salt is a great high quality choice), as it can not only satisfy your salty craving, but it can support your adrenal and thyroid health and add alkalinity into your diet as sea salt has a wonderful balance of minerals including calcium, magnesium, iodine and potassium to name a few.
Add it to salads, smoothies and soups. A little goes a long way!
If you’re looking for a salty food fix and would like to stick to a healthier choice, then try these tasty sweet potato fries! (recipe below)
The natural sea salt adds a nice flavour + it is high quality and full of nutrients (win win!)
Now it’s your turn, let me know what your go to snack is when you crave salty foods?
As always I hope you liked today’s blog, please share it with someone who may also find it valuable! ?
Keeping it healthy,
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2-3/4 tsp high quality sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (use oil safe for high heat such as coconut, canola, sunflower, safflower)
- Herbamare, or other desired spices for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and spray or brush oil on paper.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry. Slice potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Slice quarters in half.
- Take a bag or container and add cornstarch, spices and salt into bag/container. Add the potato wedges and shake up until the potatoes are coated with the mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to potatoes and shake until coated.
- Place wedges on baking sheet with space between each one (¾ inch). They can become mushy if they don’t have their space on the sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes. Flip each one (remove from oven) and bake for another 10-20 minutes until crispy.
- Eat immediately while crispy and hot!